For many students and families, Summer 2021 offers a sense of renewed hope.
As high school students look for opportunity in a rapidly changing world, we know how it is increasingly important for teens to find outlets for building knowledge, supportive relationships, and self-reflection skills.
At Green Ivy, we’ve developed an expansive list of summer offerings for high schoolers, including: college application bootcamps, flexible writing workshops, and creative mini-courses ranging from Poetry Writing to AP Calculus to Identity Self-Exploration. Our goal is to help students address any learning lags from this past school year, and create a space for positive growth.
Below, we’ve provided an overview of our high school options for college counseling services, mini-courses and writing and academic readiness. We hope all students can find something that resonates with their interests and goals ~ to explore each of our offerings in more detail, please visit our registration page.
1. College Counseling Services
We offer four comprehensive, high-quality college counseling services for rising high school seniors (Class of 2022):
- Comprehensive College Counseling Program: a highly personalized program of at least 40 one-on-one sessions dedicated to all facets of the college application process. Contact Us For More Information.
- Basic College Counseling Program: an in-depth introductory consultation + attendance at our bootcamp (see below) + five individual follow-up sessions with one of our staff. Contact Us For More Information.
- Summer College Application Bootcamp: a thorough, comprehensive four-day workshop where students begin their applications, draft essays and activities lists, and receive detailed feedback from their peers and Green Ivy staff. Offered on several different weeks throughout the summer. More information and registration here.
- College Application Writing Mini-Course: a three-session mini-course designed to help students produce a working draft of their personal statements and understand the fundamentals of writing supplemental essays. More information and registration here.
2. Mini-Courses Our mini-courses are short, interactive and fun 3-5 session courses designed to foster skill growth, foresight, and self-expression. Learn more and register online here.
- Poetry (5 sessions): participants learn the fundamentals of reading and writing poetry through analytical discussions, constructive feedback sessions, and creative writing prompts.
- Develop Your Summer Blueprint (2 sessions): this organization-based mini-course helps students set priorities, goals, and systems for a productive and joyful summer.
- Selfhood: A Journey in Self-Exploration (5 sessions): through a combination of reflective discussions, readings, and group activities, participants investigate their own origins and identities.
- Creative Nonfiction (4 sessions): participants study fascinating examples of memoir, journalism, essays, and/or critiques on their way to crafting original written pieces on a topic of their choice.
- Dialogue Writing Workshop (4 sessions): this workshop is dedicated to the art of writing dialogue, a key component of most storytelling modes and a crucial skill for all aspiring storytellers.
3. Writing and Academic Readiness
We know this pandemic school year has created academic lags, and our summer writing and academic readiness programs are designed to equip students with effective academic strategies and subject-specific skills. To sign up for any of our writing and academic readiness summer programs, please contact us.
- One-on-One Writing Workshop: our 8-, 12- and 15-session writing workshop curriculum is highly flexible and customizable, with comprehensive lessons covering critique-writing, rhetorical analysis, fictional narratives, and more. To learn more about our writing workshop options, visit our services page.
- Algebra, Geometry and Algebra II Review: Over the past school year, research suggests that the most significant academic lags occurred in math. To support students with their foundational math skills, we offer highly flexible math support at all levels to reinforce and strengthen key foundational math knowledge.
- Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences Support: in order to address learning lags occurring in science classrooms all over the country, Green Ivy provides individualized review and preview courses in Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Science. With the flexible guidance of one of our staff, students can polish their skills and build a strong conceptual foundation for the upcoming year in science.
- Introduction to AP Calculus: our math instructors provide students with the foundational knowledge they need to approach AP Calculus with confidence.
- Organizational Workshop: this ninety-minute workshop is a foundational workshop that we offer year-round to initiate our work around executive functioning work with students. Offered as a standalone session or as a precursor to weekly sessions, the organization workshop guides students to build actionable goals, establish effective planning systems, and discover their own blueprint for success.
At Green Ivy, we take a holistic approach, focusing on providing quality guidance for academic growth, as well as creative exploration, self-awareness, and self-efficacy. If you have questions about any of our courses or programs, please feel welcome to contact us.
Sending you and your family the very best wishes for a safe, healthy and fun upcoming summer.